20 Things I'm Thankful for in 2020 at MHBC
This has been a crazy year…and that is a massive understatement. But it has also been a sweet year of seeing God at work in our church. Here are 20 things I’m thankful for in 2020 (in no particular order):
1. I’m thankful that our Sunday morning worship gatherings continue. When something is taken away for a time, you realize how valuable it is. Spending a few weeks without gathering felt like the end of the world. I’m thankful we are able to gather for worship safely.
2. I’m thankful for our livestream. If you would have told me at the beginning of 2020 that we would have a good number of people watching our services on livestream, I would have laughed at you. But here we are.
3. I’m thankful for our elders. Your elders love you.
4. I’m thankful for the way I’ve seen our church reach out and connect with one another even when we couldn’t physically be together. It has been a breath of fresh air.
5. I’m thankful for the MHBC staff. The staff was pushed and pulled in so many different directions this year. They have been creative and faithful through it all.
6. I’m thankful for your generous giving. A pandemic is a good chance to identify our idols. It is tempting to hoard and be stingy when resources are threatened. And yet, the generous givers of this church have continued to give throughout this year.
7. I’m thankful for God’s wisdom. Even before the pandemic hit, I was meditating on James 1:5 as a theme verse for this year. Little did I know how much I’d cry out to God for wisdom this year. And I think God gave it…I know He did because He promised He would.
8. I’m thankful that this church has continued to support our missionaries and mission organizations. Only time will tell how the work of global missions has been affected by this pandemic. I’m thankful we were able to faithfully give.
9. I’m thankful for our Thanksfeast this year. It was different but I trust God used it and will continue to use it. A lot of people went above and beyond to make that happen.
10. I’m thankful for the grace and patience and understanding so many of you have shown in this year of uncertainty.
11. I’m thankful for music and singing. A lot of churches stopped singing this year. I’m glad we continued.
12. I’m thankful for our Community Groups and the care for each other that is happening. We have some fantastic Community Group leaders.
13. I’m thankful for all those who have reached out to our shut-ins and homebound members. We are saddened by their isolation and pray we can see them more very soon.
14. I’m so thankful for the book of Ephesians. Wow. That little book is packed with the glorious plan of God to center all things on Jesus.
15. I’m thankful for the book of Jonah and the relentless pursuit of God’s mercy.
16. I’m thankful for our deacons and they way they bear burdens and love others.
17. I’m thankful for all the people who have volunteered to help with the audio and video this year. We have all had to learn and be stretched this year.
18. I’m thankful for our Wednesday night studies and our Sunday School classes and all the teachers and leaders that make it happen.
19. I’m thankful for the Bible. God’s Word is true and trustworthy. It is sufficient.
20. I’m thankful for you.