God has called all who follow Jesus to join their lives to a local gathering of Jesus' people. However, joining lives is often messy business. As marriage vows provide a bedrock for the marriage, we desire for these vows to help us live in Christian community.
Since God has brought us to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and since we have been baptized in teh name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, with God's help we make these promises to each other:
- We will work and pray for unity and peace in this church.
- We will love one another, care for one another, and hold one another accountable to follow Jesus. We will be slow to take offense when wronged and always ready for reconciliation.
- We will faithfully cooperate with and submit ourselves to the elders of this church as they care for our souls.
- We will prioritize the gathering of the church for worship and make every effort to attend regularly and participate in the life of the church.
- We will seek to teach the truths of God’s Word to those under our care, and by a pure and loving example to seek the salvation of our family and friends.
- We will rejoice at each other’s happiness and bear each other’s burdens and sorrows.
- We will seek to live a godly life, deny worldliness, and put our sin to death. We invite others to confront us when our life is out of step with God’s Word.
- We will work together to protect and promote the gospel through the ministry of this church as we sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines.
- We will contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the Gospel through all nations.
- We will, if we move from this place, as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.